Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL

Kaitlyn started 1st grade Wednesday, August 26.
The night before the big day, we laid out her clothes and painted her fingernails and toes to match the color of her shirt. She was so excited for school and didn't seem nervous at all. I think the prayers the night before and the morning of calmed her nerves as well as mine. I love this pose with her hands in her pockets.
Yuck, rain of the 1st day of school!!
The picture on the front steps will become a tradition for the first day of school pictures starting now and going forward. My mom did this every year and it was great to see how much we changed each year.
First Grade                                            Kindergarten

At the bus stop with her friend Abby.
Line up for the bus. Brian and I said our goodbyes gave her hugs and kisses. I was holding back tears as she barely looked back. She was much more confident this year, I was so proud. Now if her nails are still long when she gets home I will know she wasn’t too nervous for her first day. When she was little and would get nervous, she would pick at her palms. Last year it escalated into picking and ripping her nails off. This summer it stopped or more that it was a fun stress free summer break.
The wave goodbye from the window of the bus. I was choking back tears when the bus pulled away. I cannot believe my baby is in first grade and gone all day. The bus picks her up at 8:15 with school starting at 8:40 ending at 3:30 and home around 3:45, that's 7-1/2 hours. I kept my day busy with appointments and errands so not to think about how much I missed her. Poor Hannah missed Kaitlyn so much she was miserable and whining all day for "SISSY".
Excited to be home and to get out of the rain. NOTE nails are still intact therefore a great first day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't believe how big Kaitlyn is getting. She looks so tall in the pictures. I was worried that Hannah was going to have a hard time adjusting to her Sissy being gone all day. With them being so close & loving it will be a bit of an adjustment for Hannah. Kaitlyn has old friends & new friends & school work to keep her occupied. Let Kaitlyn know she is looking so grown up but still as pretty as ever.
Love Aunt Nan

Anne said...

I love the nail test, the true story behind the day.

Kindergarten wasn't as hard for me as 1st grade. You have to put your baby in someone else's hands ALL DAY. Glad it was such a success! Happy school year~